I am not quite sure how I started this mini-project but I think it came out of a newsletter I read. It talked about CIS benchmarks. I had downloaded the software previously but never implemented any of the changes. Today I installed the software and started changing the group policy to raise my “score”. So far I have:
- Run winupdate to get the server current.
- Implemented group policy changes to Auditing and Accounting Policies.
- Implemented group policy changes to Security Settings.
- Fixed the problem with SQL Server caused by renaming the Administrator Account. I had to change the userid it uses to logon.
- Re-installed the modem. I don't know why but it disappeared.
- Implemented the three patches not convered by Winupdate. I used HFNetChkLT to find and deploy the patches.
This raised my score from 4.0 to 7.25. I can probably run the score up to 10 without breaking anything more. At least that's my hope.